Summertime means many things to many people, and for a lot of women, it’s all about travel. At Awakenings for Women, we know that traveling can be a lot of fun. However, it can also be triggering for a newly sober women. While we’re the perfect location for sober living in South Florida, we know that many women will be traveling to locations all around the world this summer. Check out our tips for sustaining women’s sober living while traveling.
- Be Accountable. Make sure that you’re accountable for your sobriety, whether you’re traveling or you’re at home. Make sure that your traveling companions know that you’re sober, this way they’re less likely to pressure you into drug or alcohol use.
- Avoid Triggers. Certain locations, settings, and even songs can be triggering for relapse. Make sure to avoid places, people, or things that can be triggering.
- Get Support. There are many sobriety support groups which exist locally and internationally. Consider joining a support group wherever you’re heading, or hop in on a meeting. Also, stay connected with your sponsor throughout your trip.
- Travel with Sober Friends. The best way to avoid triggers when traveling is to stick with friends who are sober too. Consider traveling with other people who are committed to a sober lifestyle.
- Switch it for Soda. If you’re in an environment where everyone is drinking, consider sipping on some soda. You’ll stay sober while still participating in any event.
At Awakenings for Women, we offer the best resources for women’s sober living. We’re the premier destination for sober living in South Florida, and we are here to support your recovery. Call today for more tips on sober summer travel!